HSBC Bank Berhad started offering the HSBC Classics Bursary Award in view of the rising number of Malaysians who wished to pursue their studies in classical music. Along with its annual HSBC Classics music festival which has showcased a whole host of talented local artistes alongside a few international names, the HSBC Classics Bursary is another initiative to help nurture Malaysian talent and develop the classical music industry
The recipient of the last HSBC Classics Bursary was none other than rising Malaysian pianist Wong Shuenda. He has received rave reviews for his performances around the UK. In conjunction with the Chopin Year 2010 he was invited to play for a master class with Peter Donohoe held at the Purcell Room, Southbank Centre. Shuenda is also a Recommended Artist under Making Music's Philip & Dorothy Green Award scheme for 2010 and has also been awarded Making Music's Raymond Fox Bursary for Instrumentalists.
Applications are now open to Malaysian students aged 25 years and below for the HSBC Classics Bursary awards to study classical music in an internationally recognised music / performing arts school / college or music department of a recognised university.
Offered Institute: Internationally recognised music / performing arts school / college or music department of a recognised university
Field of Study: Classical music
Criteria & Eligibility:
- Malaysian students aged 25 years and below
- Students who have been accepted by the institute.
- Excellent academic background
- Must have musical potential
- Financial needy
Scholarship Coverage: RM20,000
How To Apply:
- Download and complete the application form
- Applicants must submit a CD recording of their performance (of 10 – 15 minutes duration) with an accompanying letter from their instrumental/music teacher, authenticating the recording. Please label the CD with your name.
- Applications must be accompanied by:
- a copy of your identity card
- a short resume including biodata, details of music education, current teacher(s), musical activities, prizes or awards in music competition.
- a letter of recommendation from either current or recent teacher or a professional musician
- a recent passport size photograph
- Send to:
HSBC CLASSICAL BURSARY
THE KUALA LUMPUR PERFORMING ARTS CENTRE
JALAN STRACHAN SENTUL PARK
51100 KUALA LUMPUR
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and required to attend an interview.
Closing Date: 31 May 2010